Friday, March 25, 2016

Cockfighting ring in Jeremie, Grand-Anse

photo © patrice dougé All rights reserved
Haiti is one of the few countries in the world where cockfighting is still legal. I am not sure when and if stiff laws regarding cruelty to animals, illegal animal fighting, ect., in the US and elsewhere - could be implemented  down here. Cockfighting is a widely popular pastime throughout the Country, and it attracts a big crowd, mostly men who also gamble. On a Sunday afternoon, about a mile from where I was staying in Jeremie, my guide pointed out there was a (gaguere) down the road and I should have a look. I didn't go inside the arena where the fight was being held, it has already been photographed, just google cockfighting - instead I was looking for something up close and personal.The guy in the photo happens to be friends with my guide and he reluctantly accepted. I am happy with what I captured.