Saturday, March 19, 2016

Seeing familiar places with new eyes

photo © patrice dougé All rights reserved
The assignment in Marigot was done a day early, the client was happy with the pictures I emailed and there was nothing scheduled for the next day. Late the following afternoon, I ended up in Jacmel where I have gone numerous times to photograph Carnaval. With 2 hours of daylight left, I had to get rid of my creative block. I needed to look at Jacmel differently, I needed to be like a photographer on his first visit. We sometimes go to places that have been photographed before, and it's important to view what has already been done. So I began to look at my surroundings with fresh eyes,  and noticed stuff that I failed to see in previous visits. There is so much beauty in the ordinary, everyday sights that we overlook - the time of the day we go out to shoot is as important, I have walked up and down the road where I made the photograph above and never noticed the beauty in the deteriorating old house, the mood late afternoon can produce.