Monday, March 7, 2016

A little glance into Haitian life - Thomassin

photo © patrice dougé All rights reserved
One morning I noticed we had early visitors at the library at Pen Haiti, a Residence for writers and artists. About half a dozen school kids from a nearby Lycée came in since school was out very early that day. Photographing strangers in Haiti is a lot easier when it comes to children and the setting the school kids were in at the library helped a lot, they were so captivated by what they saw in the story books that any of them paid any attention to being photographed. I can't remember the name of the photographer whom I met briefly who flew to Haiti and wanted to do some street photography. I never saw him again but I hear that he rather gave up very quickly because of people hiding their faces and expressing their anger for being photographed on the streets.